Business Personal Property

The State of Indiana requires all businesses including any firm, company, partnership, association, corporation, churches or small business owner to complete personal property tax returns. Personal Property can be described as anything tangible such as tools, computers, printers, fax machines, desks, chairs, machinery, signage, display cases, security systems, farm equipment, etc. However, this does not include intangible property such as computer programs, inventory, or anything that has a license plate from the BMV (vehicles).

Please note that it is the owner's responsibility to obtain and file the appropriate forms. It is also the owner's responsibility to inform the Assessor's Office of your business closing (a note attached to your filing or a letter in place of a filing will suffice). Failure to notify the Assessor's Office will result in an accumulation of penalties until notification is received.

Important Dates

  • Personal Property Forms are due by May 15th, 2023.
  • Personal Property forms indicating a total acquisition cost less than $80,000 that are filed after this date will incur a late filing penalty of $25.
  • Personal Property forms indicating a total acquisition cost equal to or greater than $80,000 will incur a late filing penalty of $25 if received after May 15th but before June 15th. If received after the late filing June 15th deadline, you will incur an additional 20% penalty.
  • Amended returns to correct errors made on your original timely filed return must be received no later than May 16th of the following year.

Submit Your Returns Online

You may now file your Personal Property Forms online by visiting our Beacon Website. There you can search for the desired Personal Property. After locating your Personal Property, find all Personal Property Forms located on the tool bar at the top of the page. Please only complete the Forms appropriate for your business, detailed instructions on what Forms need to be filed are listed above. Complete and submit the forms electronically. If you have any questions or concerns please contact our Personal Property Deputy, Michelle Wolfla, by phone or email.

Note: A Form 104 is required for all Personal Property filings.

Alternatively, Submit Your Forms via Email or U.S. Mail

Submit personal property forms electronically by emailing them to Michelle Wolfla, Personal Property Deputy. You will be directed to fill-in-the-blank printable forms by clicking on the forms listed below. You also have the option of visiting our office and we will be happy to assist you with the completion of your required forms.

  • Form 104 (PDF) - This form must be included with your filing of either the Form 103 Long, 103 Short or 102 Farms, whichever is applicable to your filing status. If filing on an acquisition cost of less than $40,000, please check the box at the top of this form that denotes you are seeking this exemption.
  • Form 102 (Farms) (PDF) - Farmer's Tangible Personal Property Assessment Return
  • Form 103 Short (PDF) - Business with assessed value under $150,000
  • Form 103 Long (PDF) - Filing for more than $150,000 in Personal Property
  • Form 106 (PDF) - For use in detailing adjustments

Please complete the above forms in their entirety. If you are filing on a total acquisition cost that is less than $40,000, check the applicable box at the top of the first page, and include your total acquisition cost (derived from completing page 2) on the provided line. Be sure to include the following items on your forms as omitting these items could result in fines pursuant to Indiana law IC 6-January 1, 1937-7(d):

Note: Business owners can file one return for businesses with several locations in the same taxing district.

Search for your taxing district.