Lightning is a serious hazard during thunderstorms. Take these special precautions if you are threatened by lightning:
- When a thunderstorm threatens, get inside a home, large building or vehicle.
- Inside a building, avoid using a telephone, except for emergencies.
If outside with no time to reach a safe building or automobile, follow these rules:
- Do not stand underneath a natural lightning rod such as a tall, isolated tree in an open area.
- Avoid being above the surrounding landscape: as you would do if you were standing on a hilltop, in an open field, or on the river in a boat.
- Get out of and away from open water.
- Get way from tractors and metal farm equipment.
- Get off of and away from motorcycles, bicycles and golf carts. Put down golf clubs.